I’ve got just the thing. Black bean burgers. They take a little time, but they are super-cheap, really healthy, and even the kids like them. Here’s what you need:
15 oz cooked black beans: You can buy them canned if you like. If you’re
cheap particular like me and prefer to prepare your own, that’s 1 1/3 cup dried beans. I cook mine with salt, water, cilantro, cumin, garlic, and onion
1/2 onion, diced
2 slices of bread
1 raw egg
1/4C all purpose flour
Spices to taste (again, I like a little salt, garlic, cumin, and some chopped cilantro)
See? Not much to it, right? Now here’s the fun part.
1) Caramelize your diced onion.
2) Feed the cats. Because their yowling is driving you to
3) Onions are now crunchy as corn flakes. Swear a little and dump them into mixing bowl.
4) What the heck. You love onions. And mushrooms. Slice the remaining half onion and saute as burger topping.
5) Fill cat’s water bowl. For the fourteenth time today.
6) Cube the bread slices and dump into mixing bowl with crunchy onion bits.
7) Intervene in small child’s flight demonstration. Twice.
8 ) Sample caramelized onions and mushrooms. Repeat until they are nearly gone.
9) Add beans and raw egg to mixing bowl and mash it all together. Mix spices into flour, and then blend into the bean mixture. The flour and egg are literally the glue that holds it all together. Great image, right?
10) Check kid’s homework. Take a moment to be grateful that school is almost over for the year.
11) Make burgers into patties. I didn’t take a picture of this part because my hands were covered with bean mixture. And it looked a little gross.
12) Answer phone with your elbows, and listen to
long and unnecessary automated call from the school.
12) Cook in oil on high heat, flipping ever few minutes. They’re done with they’re dark and kind of crunchy on both sides. I set them in the oil in big lumps, let them cook a few minutes, then flip and flatten with a spatula. Story of my life, you know?
13) Serve. Yes, this means you have to share. I am truly sorry.
Now if you will excuse me, I am starving!