1) No one takes your ice cream. Because it’s resting on a bag of frozen rats.
2) You have a use for all of those college text books.
3) Overnight visitors are rare. Buy one snake, and suddenly all the out-of-town family is piling into a hotel. And they invite you to swim in the pool. Double score!
4) All the neighborhood kids think that you’re the coolest parent in the entire world. What kid doesn’t want to share a room with a python?
5) Your bad-itude level increases exponentially. People will not mess with you when they hear the words “Yeah, I’ve got to go home and feed my boa.” There is no need to add that said boa is five inches long.
There may be a few disadvantages, too.
1) Cages can’t be kept too near a window. Not because of drafts, but because their red night bulbs give the neighbors (and the cops) the wrong idea.
2) It’s extra sad to open the freezer and realize the only thing you have to eat is a bag of rats.
3) It’s hard to find a house-sitter.
4) Reptiles have no respect for the saying “Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.”
5) People who live in the same house don’t appreciate nearly drinking a mouse that is thawing in their favorite cup. There might be an entire blog post on this particular topic. Sorry, sweetie! I’ll try to remember to quit using your cup!